Feb 27, 2012

Mod Podged Slate Coasters

I recently had a crafty get together with friends, and it was a blast! My crafty friends made such beautiful items, I wanted to keep them all for myself. ( I'm not that greedy, really.) I only wish I had taken more pictures to share with all of you, but I did manage to get a picture of these beauties!
My creative friend Marianne had the idea to make these coasters. I'll try to explain how she did it. ( it was really easy) 
Marianne found the plain black slate coasters at Micheal's craft store. She bought a set of 4 for only $2.00! The slates already came with felt pads on the bottom. All these babies needed was a little character. 
Next, she printed, (onto cardstock) and cut out the free printable "keep moving" bicycle image from the "Wild@heart"  blog.
She then distressed the edges of the images using black ink, doing this "blends" the image into the black slate, giving a more uniform look. 
Now, Marianne Mod Podged the cardstock image onto the slate coasters. She did a total of 2 coats of Mod Podge, allowing to dry between coats. 
Finally, Marianne sprayed all of the coasters with an acrylic sealer. The coasters are pretty much water proof. 
The entire process took about 1 hour. Marianne has seen similar sets selling for close to $20!  
These made an excellent house warming gift for her brother. 
So there you have it, so easy, and so cheap. If you would like to use the free image click here
Thanks so much Marianne, for sharing this wonderful idea with us. I've seen so many coaster ideas out there using small tiles, that to see this slate coaster is a refreshing change. I love it,
 photo my custom signature_zpseg74gyud.png





8 comments:

  1. This is a really cute project Misty. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm am giving you a Bloggie Award. I hope you enjoy. I really like the new blog layout. It's beautiful!

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOPS - The blog award is posted on my page.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you had a chance to stop by. Thanks so much for the blog award, I'm super excited to share.

      Delete
  2. These are really cute coasters. And what a great gift idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute--love the bicycle design. Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday at Very Merry Vintage Style!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, Misty!!! Great idea!!! I am off to explore your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! These were my friends idea, I'm so glad that she lets me post her creativity. :)

      Delete
  5. It only contains two words but it really inspires a lot. I would also like to have this kind of coasters to protect my furniture.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day and encourage me to keep going in this crazy blog endeavor. Thank you!